Monday, March 23, 2015

Farm Island

Date: Sunday March 22, 2015
Time: 12:00pm CDT
Location: Farm Island
Temperature: 45°F
Wind: ~15mph
Skies: altocumulus

I took a long walk on Farm Island on this early spring day. The cardinals were particularly active vocalizers. I saw or heard chickadees, nuthatches, juncos, flicker, a red wing blackbird, and many robins way at the end of the island. They are still in first wave formation, not spreading out to their territories yet.

I also came upon an unbeknownst to me wetland with hundreds of ducks. When I was approaching it, I heard what I thought at first were chorus frogs. Even though the sound wasn't quite right for a chorus frog, I didn't know what else it could be as it was obvious there were a lot of whatever it was. I finally got close enough to see through the brush to a good sized area full of all kinds of ducks.

I didn't have my binoculars so I couldn't get a good view but I saw coots among them.

I also saw an adult bald eagle.

The video offers some bird sounds (chickadees and cardinals) as well as a view of the terrain in early spring. I come back from these rambles with a lot of burrs and grass in my shoes and pants.



No comments:

Post a Comment