Monday, January 12, 2015

Nature Journal: Eagles

Saturday, January 10
4:30pm - 5:20pm CST
Below Oahe Dam in Downstream park
Temp ~20°F
Wind - < 15mph
Skies - Broken altostratus


Over the weekend, I went up to the Oahe Dam to look for eagles. Eagles will over winter at the dam as there is open water, cottonwood trees and many Canada geese and ducks. I'd heard rumor that over 60 eagles had been spotted so I had high expectations.

While I didn't see 60, I did see well over a dozen which is usual for this time of year. The best time to see eagles is starting about an hour before sunset as they will start returning to the cottonwoods to roost after feeding.

I saw adult and juvenile Bald Eagles and for the first time ever heard eagles chatter and peal.



Close up of juvenile and adult Bald Eagles. Taken entering park.

Eagles in Cottonwoods. Taken on birding point on East shore.


1 comment:

  1. I watch them up above the dam, on the ice, with the geese. What fun! I see them frequently, and every time I am amazed.

    ReplyDelete